By Loretta Fulton
“And we hope you have many more.”
That toast to Dr. Virginia Connally, Abilene’s first female physician, ended a special celebration Dec. 4 of her 105th birthday. Connally’s daughter, Genna, who lives in Waco, joined friends in Abilene for the celebration.
A special gift to Connally from her alma mater, Hardin-Simmons University, was the Jesse C. Fletcher Award for Distinguished Service in Missions. Robert Ellis, interim dean of the Logsdon School of Theology at Hardin-Simmons, presented Connally with a citation, written by former HSU President Lanny Hall.
Part of the citation read by Ellis cited the Great Commission, Jesus’ directive to his disciples to “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost,” according to the King James Version of the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 28, verse 19.
Connally, a member of First Baptist Church since she was a student at Hardin-Simmons in the early 1930s, is a long time supporter of missions. She served on medical missions in Venezuela during her years of practice, from 1940 to 1982.
Connally, who was born Ada Virginia Hawkins Dec. 4, 1912, in Temple, earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and education from then-Simmons University in 1933. She returned to Abilene in 1940 after earning a medical degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine and serving an internship and residency at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. Her first office was located in the Mims Building downtown, where she specialized in diseases of the eye, ear, nose, and throat. She retired in 1982.
Among her medical highlights were serving as the first female chief of staff at Hendrick Medical Center and the now-closed St. Ann Hospital, serving medical missions to Venezuela, receiving the 2004 Pioneer in Medicine award at the 100th anniversary celebration of the Taylor-Jones-Haskell County Medical Society, now the Big Country County Medical Society, and receiving the Distinguished Service Award in 2012 from the Texas Medical Association.
Of equal importance to Connally was her interest in missions. In 1981, Connally and her late husband, Ed Connally, established the Connally Endowed Professorship of Missions at Hardin-Simmons. Virginia Connally provided the lead gift to establish the Connally Missions Center at Hardin-Simmons, which was dedicated in 2000.
Ellis noted in the citation that the Great Commission seal is displayed just above the entrance to the Connally Missions Center.
“The Connally Missions Center is a constant reminder to Hardin-Simmons and Logsdon students,” Ellis read, “that we are all obedient to the Great Commission today.”